Butterscotch Pudding with whipped cream

06:02 0 Comments A+ a-

DSC_3127


(I’m pretty good at two of those last three things. I won’t say which two.)
Anyway, during this small window of free time, I was struck suddenly with a massive craving for something sweet; as in, I had to have something sweet fast or I was going to start getting anxious. And I’m not quite sure how this happened, but as I searched for the perfect treat to eat, I discovered, this recipe I’d been so busy getting groceries ready for real meals that I’d inadvertently let the dessert stores deplete, and I decided to make a quick batch of pudding. It was either that or grab the container of Nutella and a very large spoon.
I mean pudding.
I mean here’s how to make it.
Butterscotch PuddingInto a medium (preferably nonstick) skillet, throw in some brown sugar…
Butterscotch PuddingThen add some cornstarch...And some salt.
Butterscotch PuddingOoooh. Look how awesomely cool I am with my brown sugar lumps!
It happens.
And when it does, don’t let it break your spirit. Just rock those brown sugar lumps like you totally planned on them being there!
Huh!
Butterscotch PuddingNow, for the liquid: in a pitcher, measure 3 cups of whole milk. Now, this is where I had a panic episode (well, as much as a person can panic about pudding, which in my case is quite profoundly) when I discovered that all the whole milk was gone and I only had 2%. I’m really batting a thousand with stocking my kitchen, aren’t I? Anyway, everything turned out fine, but just know that using whole milk is always best when you make pudding because that little bit of extra fat really sends it over the edge, creaminess-wise.
Butterscotch PuddingInto the milk goes 4 egg yolks, then just whisk it together until it’s combined.
Butterscotch PuddingPour the milk/egg mixture into the pan…
Butterscotch PuddingStir it together…
Oh, and I also wouldn’t fault you if you added a tiny splash of booze (scotch whiskey, bourbon, even rum would be good) to the liquid.
(Just saying.)
Butterscotch PuddingThen turn the stove to medium heat and commit the next 8 to 10 (give or take) minutes of your life to gently stirring the pudding.
Butterscotch PuddingIt will take a little while for the concoction to start to heat up. In fact, it will seem like forever, especially if you’re in the mood for butterscotch pudding, which I most definitely WAS yesterday.
Butterscotch PuddingBut then, out of the clear blue sky, it will get hot enough to start to bubble violently and get thick. Let it cook/bubble like this for a good 30 seconds until it reaches pudding consistency…
Butterscotch PuddingThen remove it from the stove and stir in 2 tablespoons of butter until it’s all melted.
Butterscotch PuddingSpoon it into the dishes you want to serve the pudding in: Cute little dessert glasses, demitasse cups, ramekins, small bowls…whatever you want! Then refrigerate them, covered in plastic wrap, for a good hour—two if you can wait.
(Or, who am I kidding? Just eat it warm right out of the pan.)
(Or—how about this? Make a chocolate cookie pie crust and turn this into a Butterscotch Pie.)
Butterscotch PuddingPlain, unsweetened whipped cream is always a good idea. (The pudding is plenty sweet on its own!)
Butterscotch PuddingSuch a treat, whether warm or cold! (And for the record, I ate it warm. I couldn’t wait. It’s the kind of gal I am.)

Butterscotch Pudding

Ingredients:

  • 1-1/2 cup Brown Sugar, Light Or Dark Is Fine
  • 1/4 cup Cornstarch
  • 1/2 teaspoon Salt
  • 3 cups Whole Milk
  • 4 whole Large Egg Yolks (discard Or Save Whites For Another Use)
  • 2 Tablespoons Butter
  • Unsweetened Whipped Cream

Instruction

  1. Gently whisk together the brown sugar, cornstarch, and salt in a medium nonstick pan.
  2. In a separate pitcher or bowl, whisk together the milk and egg yolks. Pour it into the pan with the brown sugar mixture and stir to combine.
  3. Turn on the heat to medium and cook, stirring gently, until the mixture just starts to bubble up/get very thick. (This can take a good 10 minutes or so.) When it reaches pudding consistency, stir in the butter until melted, then remove it from the heat and spoon it into bowls, glasses (be careful; mixture is hot), demitasse cups, etc. Chill the pudding for at least 1 hour or until very cold. 
Tip:
Top with unsweetened whipped cream and serve!

Source: thepioneerwomen