CHOCOLATE BERRY CAKE

04:03 0 Comments A+ a-

CHOCOLATE BERRY CAKE

I’m back! ok, ok, so I didn’t actually go anywhere; instead of creating tons and tons of stuff in the kitchen, I’ve been creating a lot next to the kitchen.  I did take some time out of my oh-so-busy schedule though to make what has got to be the best cake I’ve made yet. And while I am not one to make the same recipe more than once in a year or so, I am definitely thinking of making this again very, very soon.
The cake is three easy parts: a delicious chocolate cake, a whipped cream icing, and of course berries. All three parts work off of each other so well. Even if you hate baking/the kitchen I strongly suggest after reading this to go make it because you will fall in love. Yes, it is possible to fall in love with a cake.

Cake Ingredients (Modified from Ina Garten’s Beatty’s Chocolate Cake)

2 cups flour
2 1/2 cups sugar
1 cup cocoa powder
2 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1 cup buttermilk*
1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoon vegetable oil
2 large eggs
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 1/8 cup (1 cup 2 tablespoons) freshly brewed, hot coffee (I suggest a good medium roast from a french press)**
4 cups berries of your choice

* Don’t have buttermilk? Place a tablespoon of vinegar in the bottom of a measuring cup. Fill the measuring cup up to the 1 cup mark and let sit for five minutes. Ta-daaaaa!
** The coffee not only adds a dimension but it helps pull out the chocolate flavor. I use a french press for my coffee and believe it delivers the best coffee flavor. You can work with whatever you have. If you have an espresso maker, pull 3 or 4 shots, then dilute with water to make 1 cup (an americano).
Instructions1. Preheat the oven to 350. Line two buttered round baking pans with parchment paper. Butter again and lightly flour. Set aside.
2. Sift the dry ingredients together in a bowl (flour, sugar, cocoa, baking soda, baking powder, salt). If using a stand mixer, put ingredients in the mixer’s bowl.
3. In a separate bowl mix together the buttermilk, vegetable oil & vanilla extract.
4. Slowly beat in the wet mixture into the dry mixture. If you are using a stand/electric mixture use a low speed. Be careful not to over beat everything.
5. Once mixed, slowly add in the coffee. Use a spatula to scrape the sides and bottom. The mixture will be quite runny!
6. Pour into the pans and bake for 28-35 minutes or until a wooden skewer/tooth pick poked in the center comes out clean (a few little bits hanging on is ok and makes for a moist cake). Mine was done at 30 minutes.
7. Cook for 30 minutes in the pan, then invert onto cooling racks and cool completely.

Frosting Ingredients1 package (8 oz) cream cheese, softened
3/4 cup sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla
2 cups heavy whipping cream

Frosting Instructions1. Cream the cream cheese with the sugar until smooth using a mixer over medium speed.
2. Add the vanilla and just mix in.
3. Add the whipping cream and whip over high speed until the frosting is fluffy. Take care not to over whip the cream. Once it holds stiff peaks it is done.*
*When the whip pulls out from the frosting, the peaks that are pulled out should stand up and not fall back into the frosting.
The best part about this cake is you can pair it with your choice of berries. I got the inspiration from a chocolate and strawberry tart, but because I had so many raspberries, and love blackberries, I thought I’d use all three.
Place one of the cake layers on a plate. Toss on 1/2 the berries (I used just raspberries and blackberries for this layer. Set the next cake layer on top. Add the rest of the frosting on top, and then the rest of the berries. I put strawberries in the center with the rest of the blackberries and raspberries around the edge. Dig in and enjoy!
The cake should be able to sit out for a few hours, but after that you’ll want to make sure and keep it refrigerated (because of the whipped cream). Scoop about 1/3-1/2 the frosting on top and smooth over. I sent mine straight to the fridge and kept it there until serving though.
Thanks to everyone who has been reading and thanks for your patients as I take on a hefty, non-culinary endeavor for the next few weeks; I will sure try to continue to cook and post as much as I can!

Chocolate Berry Cake
source:chasingdelicious